The daily fiber target intake is 25-35g per day; which can include wholegrain cereals, breads, fruits and vegetables.
- Improves bowel health and regularity
- Helps cholesterol profile
- Aids in satiety (keep
- Keeps you feeling fuller for longer)which is beneficial when aiming for weight loss
Fiber-Power Biscotti – (makes 30 biscotti) freeze well
2 cups crushed bran cereal
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup quick cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup finely chopped cranberries
1/4 cup finely chopped apricots
2 tsp baking powder
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp vegetable oil (ricebran, canola, olive)
2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla
1. In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients (bran, flour, sugar, rolled oats, almonds, cranberries, apricots, baking powder)
2. In a small bowl, Mix eggs, oil, almond extract and vanilla. Stir into bran cereal mixture until well blended (dough will be dry and crumbly)
3. on a lightly floured surface and knead 10-15 times, until dough holds together. Divide in dough in half and shape each half into a log about 8 inches (20cm) long and 3in (7.5cm)
wide. Place on baking sheets (either lightly greased or lined with parchment paper)
4. Bake for 30min at 350 F (180C). Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 325F (160C). Remove logs from baking sheets and let cool on a wire rack for 10 min.
5. Using a bread knife, cut each log into ½ inch (1cm) thick slices.
6. Place slices on side on backing sheet.
7. Bake for 15min. Turn biscotti over and bake for 15 to 20min or until
light brown. Let cool.
Per serving Energy: